Monday, May 23, 2011

Morning Meditation


I am new to meditation. I have resisted it for many different reasons.
  • I have "better" things to do with my time
  • I have to work multiple jobs to make ends meet
  • I am not an introspective person
  • It's not something I am good at
  • It's not exciting
Okay, they are not terrific excuses, they are just mine.
I decided this summer, while I am between semesters, I would take the time to learn more about meditation. I read in a study by Mawani (2010) that meditation can drastically reduce chronic pain. This is one good reason to meditate.

I am sitting in my living room, looking out at the morning sky with dark clouds, full of life-giving water. The tree in my yard is blowing in the wind. I am feeling the roots of the tree as I stand at my window, letting my feet move down into the earth, feeling the roots grow towards the source of water and nutrition in the earth. I am stretching my arms up into the air, reaching for what little sunlight is there, swaying with the wind, but aware that my roots are grounded and that I will still be there after the wind is through blowing me. I am finding peace in the strength of my roots. I am finding joy in the water that will soon come pouring down on me. I am letting all the cares of my life blow away with the wind this morning. I am letting go of every worry and every pain.

Namaste

reference:
Mawani, A. (2010). Reducing chronic pain using mindfulness meditation: An exploration of the role of spirituality. University of Manitoba (Canada)). ProQuest Dissertations and Theses, Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/853332231?accountid=35812

3 comments:

  1. Morning, Alli.
    If you ever feel like exploring guided meditation, check out Jon Kabat-Zinn. He represents mindfulness from a medical perspective and has a wonderful CD out, entitled "Mindfulness Meditation for Pain Relief".
    There is also Martin Rossman. Oh, what a lulling voice! He uses medical hypnosis, and among many of his CDs there is "Pain Relief: Manage and Eliminate Pain, Accelerate Recovery, and Feel Better".
    Good luck and lots of patience!
    mb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alli, it sounds to me like you were meditating in the moment of writing. It gave me shivers because you reminded me how simple meditation can be. It doesn't have to be boring or take a lot of time. It is in those simple moments...like the one you described. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure that there are many people out there with very similar reasons to avoid meditation, but I am proud of you for not letting your reasons become obstacles. This is a big step that I'm sure will have many benefits for you.
    And speaking of trees, I bet that in time mediation will bear some delicious fruits for you! :)

    Igal

    ReplyDelete